Jobs with PCFMA
The mission of the Pacific Coast Farmers' Market Association (PCFMA) is to establish and operate community-supported certified farmers' markets and other direct marketing outlets that provide: viable economic opportunities for California farmers and food producers, local access to farm fresh products, support for local businesses and community organizations, and education concerning food, nutrition and the sustainability of California agriculture.
All employees of PCFMA are expected to be supportive of this mission and contribute their talents and energy towards the accomplishment of that mission.
The Pacific Coast Farmers' Market Association (PCFMA) is seeking to hire one or more persons as Market Managers to oversee one or more Certified Farmers' Markets operated around the Bay Area. This position requires work both in one or more farmers' markets around the Bay Area and in PCFMA's Concord office.
A Certified Farmers' Market is an area designated by a county Agriculture inspector in which California farmers may sell crops of their own production directly to the public without a middleman or wholesaler. Certified Farmers' Markets are the only place - other than their farm - where farmers can sell directly to consumers. PCFMA, as the market's operator, coordinates with the farmers and the customers to create a positive and successful retail experience.
The Market Manager ensures the farmers' markets operate in compliance with state law, health codes and organizational rules. The Market Manager also completes office duties related to planning, record-keeping and correspondence for the market. The manager performs community outreach to promote the market and assists with in-market events and promotions.
- Act as a manager for one or more daily Certified Farmers' Markets.
- Ensure markets operate in compliance with state law, health regulations and association rules and regulations.
- Oversee the set-up, operation and shut-down of the Farmers' Market.
- Ensure the market site is clean at the end of each market day.
- Collect payment from farmers at the end of each market day, complete logs and reports and make bank deposits.
- Provide customer service to consumers at the market by establishing and staffing a market information booth.
- Communicate with farmers’ market sponsors to understand, and when possible, to address their operational concerns, and inform supervisor of all sponsor communications.
- Work with farmers and other vendors to respond to questions and concerns.
- Assist in recruiting farmers and other producers to participate in the market.
- Enact market promotions as directed.
- Assist in scheduling and hosting market events as directed.
- Establish relationships with business and community groups in the neighborhoods surrounding the market to promote the market.
- Assist in planning, record-keeping, correspondence and other office activities to support the market and the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Experience with Certified Farmers' Markets or California agriculture a strong plus.
- Experience with computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Publisher.
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to work in a team-environment.
- Willingness to show initiative and creativity.
- First-aid certification (Certification must be completed within first 30 days of employment if not current at hire date.)
- Fluency in a language other than English, especially Spanish, Vietnamese or Hmong, a plus.
- This position requires the employee to work at farmers' markets in the San Francisco Bay Area and at PCFMA's Concord office.
- This position requires the employee to work in an office environment and outside in all weather conditions.
- This position requires the employee to interact with farmers and other vendors as well as the general public.
- This position requires the employee to be able to lift equipment in and out of a van, to lift equipment off the ground, and to be able to lift items over his/her head.
- This position requires the employee to be a licensed driver with a safe driving record.
- This position requires weekend work and may require early morning work or late evening work.
- This position requires reliable transportation (due the location and timing of some markets, public transportation is not appropriate).
Conditions and Benefits:
- This is a non-exempt position.
- This position may be full or part-time depending upon the interest of the applicant. PLEASE SPECIFY YOUR PREFERENCE IN YOUR COVER LETTER.
- This position may be either year-round or seasonal (April to October).
- Employees working full-time are eligible to enroll in an employer-paid health insurance program and an employee-paid tax-deferred retirement program with employer-matching contributions, subject to waiting periods and vesting.
- Starting wages for the position are $14.50 - $16.50 per hour, depending on experience.
- Applications for this position are due by close of business on May 24, 2013.
To apply, send a resumé and cover letter in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a resumé and cover letter will not be considered.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.