Jobs with PCFMA
The mission of the Pacific Coast Farmers' Market Association (PCFMA) is to establish and operate community-supported certified farmers' markets and other direct marketing outlets that provide: viable economic opportunities for California farmers and food producers with emphasis on family farms, local access to farm fresh products, support for local businesses and community organizations, and education concerning food, nutrition and the sustainability of California agriculture.
All employees of PCFMA are expected to be supportive of this mission and contribute their talents and energy towards the accomplishment of that mission.
A Certified Farmers' Market is an area approved by a County Agricultural Commissioner that allows California farmers to sell products of their own production directly to California consumers. Each of PCFMA's Certified Farmers' Markets also includes an adjacent area where complementary items may be sold.
A Market Manager with the Pacific Coast Farmers' Market Association, working under the direction of a Regional Manager, serves as the on-site manager for
assigned Certified Farmers' Markets to ensure the markets operate in compliance with state law, health codes and organizational rules. The Market Manager
also completes office duties related to planning, record-keeping and correspondence for the market.
The role of the market manager is to take ownership of the functions and relationships that constitute the markets they operate. This is accomplished through the creation and management of business plan for their market, of supportive communication with the producers in their markets, and of outreach to the communities surrounding their markets.
The market manager provides WOW customer service to shoppers, farmers, producers, and market stakeholders by embodying the values and mission of PCFMA. Their efforts to provide a WOW experience are supported by clear, constant communication with their regional manager and other members of PCFMA staff
- Act as an on-site manager for one or more weekly Certified Farmers' Markets.
- Ensure markets operate in compliance with state law, health regulations and association rules and regulations.
- Ensure the set-up, operation and shut-down of farmers' markets is completed to PCFMA's standards.
- Ensure the market site is clean at the end of each market day.
- Collect payment from farmers and other participating producers at the end of each market day, complete logs and reports and make bank deposits.
- Provide customer service to consumers at the market by establishing and staffing a market information booth.
- Communicate with farmers' market sponsors to understand, and when possible to address, their operational concerns, and inform regional manager of all sponsor communications.
- Work with farmers and other vendors to respond to questions and concerns.
- Assist in recruiting farmers and other producers to participate in the market
- Assist in hosting market events as directed.
- Enact marketing promotions as directed.
- Perform planning, record-keeping, correspondence and other office activities to support the market and the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Experience with computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Experience with Certified Farmers' Markets or California agriculture desired.
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to work in a team-environment.
- Willingness to show initiative and creativity.
- First-aid certification (Certification must be completed within first 30 days of employment if not current at hire date.)
- This position requires the employee to work outside in all weather conditions and may require work in an office environment.
- This position requires the employee to interact with farmers and other vendors as well as the general public.
- This position requires the employee to be able to lift equipment in and out of a vehicle, to lift equipment off the ground, and to be able to lift items over his/her head.
- This position requires the employee to be a licensed driver with a safe driving record.
- This position requires weekend work and may require early morning work or late evening work
- This position requires reliable transportation. (Due the location and timing of some markets, public transportation is not appropriate).
- This is a non-exempt position.
- This position may be either full-time or part-time
- This position is seasonal (April through October) with the potential to become a year-round position.
- Full-time employees with PCFMA are eligible for enrollment in an employer-paid health insurance plan and a 401(k) retirement plan with employer-matching contributions, subject to waiting periods and vesting.
- Starting wage for the position is $15 per hour
- Applications for this position are due by close of business on February 27, 2015.
To apply, send a resumé and cover letter in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format to email@example.com. Applications without a resumé and cover letter will not be considered.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.